Thursday, January 3, 2008

I'm Back


There is this great line in the book and ensuing move “About a Boy”* that I often think about when analyzing my own life. While explaining one of his many random philosophies on life the main character ‘Will’ states: “you have to mean things to help people… Me, I didn't mean anything, about anything, to anyone. I knew that guaranteed me a long, depression-free life.” I often feel that way…not necessarily about helping people (just tell me whom to cut a check to and I will) but about other things in life…like doing my nails, volunteering for the holiday committee, saving money, going out with acquaintances and blogs.

I am all gun-ho in the start – almost to an obsessive point – and then I just don’t deliver, finish, show-up, et cetera. It is not for lack of intent because I am full of that, and I want to mean so many things to so many people, but in the end I just it is just don’t really do the things I set out to do. I guess I don’t really mean anything.

Take this blog for example. It started because I am highly impressionable and my friend D sent me her blog that I began to read religiously. Then via her blog I found another blog that like D’s I also read religiously. So inspired I started this blog but after 4 posts I stoped my quick love affair with it and sadly it has been weeks since my last post. Yet I spend my free moments blogging in my head (okay I do this all the time with or without the blog, I journal in my head about random things) yet don’t commit to paper or screen.

Well this is about to change folks, in the words of Elton John “This Bitch is Back” and my New Year’s resolution is to blog more about the randomness that is my life so rejoice dear readers.

*Total side note – I have a random obsession with this book and the character Will. Maybe it is because I am obsessed with Nick Hornby and all of his main characters? Or perhaps because, sans the trust fund account, I was very “Will” at one point in my life? Who knows, but I thought I should mention that’s all.

No comments: